With more of us turning on the heating for the first time this season, heating and air professionals want you to think about carbon monoxide leaks.

Before turning on your heating, the first thing to do is to call an expert.

“It’s extremely fatal. People don’t know what is happening. When it piles up in your home, you get a headache, but you don’t really connect it, ”said JD Anderson, owner of 919 Fix My AC

He gets between 5-8 calls a week for heating checks – and the crews find too many leaks that would otherwise have gone unnoticed.

Long-time client Ron Lynch called Anderson before turning on his heater – and found out that his family had a close call.

“He sent a man and found out we had a carbon monoxide leak,” Lynch said.

Since carbon monoxide is odorless, the leak would have gone unnoticed.

“It scared me a bit, and definitely my wife,” said Lynch. “We agreed to have them turn it off. Above all, we didn’t want to have any problems with the children. “

Carbon monoxide leaks come from heat exchangers that rust over time – which is especially a risk in households with stoves that are over 7 years old.

“They get rust stains over time, and if those rust stains eat their way through the metal as the air blows over the heat exchanger, carbon monoxide is released through the holes,” said Anderson.

So how do you protect yourself and your family?

Digital carbon monoxide detectors are the best form of prevention, according to Anderson.

“I highly recommend putting one in the hallway and in every bedroom too – because if you close the door when you sleep, gas can build up in the room,” he said.

The cost of repairing or replacing an oven with a leak can range from $ 2,500 to $ 4,000.

More on this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.